It’s the day college students have been waiting for their whole lives-or at least since they discovered alcohol. It is a night when all the attention is on the birthday boy or girl, and everyone can’t wait for the clock to strike midnight.
It’s a 21st birthday party!
Now, even though it’s a big milestone for every young adult, making preparations for a lady’s 21st birthday requires a lot more planning, crafting, and a hell of a lot of glitter and rhinestones than a man’s 21st requires. Insert a transition Designer bottles uk sentence here that highlights the importance of wine bottles for a lady’s 21st birthday.
Wine bottles come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Some are just too pretty to throw away. I know I am guilty of starting an empty wine bottle collection for no apparent reason other than to use them to craft decorations for my apartment. Instead of letting them collect dust while sitting on top of your refrigerator, there are several different crafting ideas that college girls can tackle.
The first idea would be to take one of those bottles out of your collection and use it to craft a unique present for your friend’s 21st birthday.
What do you think you will need? Not much at all!
1. Wine bottle (of any size)
2. Paint (whatever you have on hand–spray paint or acrylic is fine)
3. Paint brushes, sponge painting brushes (whatever you want to use to give your wine bottle the desired look!)
5. Crafting glue (preferably Modge Podge brand)
6. Rhinestones (optional)
7. Cardboard box or newspaper
Before you start crafting, you are going to need to remove all of the labels from the wine bottle. It’s quite simple to do. First, fill your sink with hot water and soap until a good amount of bubbles form. Then, submerge the wine bottle in the soapy, hot water bath, making sure all the labels come in contact with the water. Let the bottle soak for about ten to fifteen minutes, so there is no paper residue and it is easy to remove the labels. The wine bottle will need to sit and dry for about fifteen minutes to ensure it’s not slippery when you begin painting.
Once the bottle is dry, it’s time to start painting! Choose the type of brush you would like to use for the basecoat of your bottle. I would suggest using a wide paintbrush so you can cover more area of the bottle at a faster pace.
Using a brush with a wide stroke will also give your wine bottle a smoother look, which will make your finished product look more complete (no one wants to see tiny, uneven brush strokes everywhere!) You can choose any color for your bottle’s basecoat, but if you are planning on doing a complex or colorful design, then I would suggest sticking to using either a white or black basecoat. These colors will make your unique patterns stand out so the colors don’t start to blur together.
However, if you like the original color of your bottle, you won’t have to worry about painting it. In this case, you can go right to the glittering process-if that’s your plan. Remember, decide beforehand if you want to paint a unique design on your bottle or if you plan on just glittering the whole thing instead.
Next, I will tell you the step-by-step process you need to take if you decide to paint a design on your bottle or if you just want to go crazy and throw glitter all over it.
I will begin with the steps to take for painting a unique design on your wine bottle. To do this you need several additional materials:
1. Paintbrush kit. These usually come with a variety of paintbrush sizes and widths, which will be important once you begin the designing process.
2. Painter’s tape. If you are a neat freak and need your paint lines to be perfectly straight, then I would suggest getting painter’s tape to use while designing.
3. More paint colors!
When you are ready to start painting, look for design inspiration on creative websites. I personally suggest Pinterest. Below is a design I used when painting my friend’s 21st birthday present!
Let each element of your design dry for about ten to fifteen minutes before starting the next part of your design in order to avoid mixing colors accidentally.
Once your design is complete, let your bottle dry overnight before you start the Modge Podge process. I suggest getting the spray-on Modge Podge so you can have an even spread over your entire bottle. The Modge Podge will give your bottle a shiny, finished look. Now you have a unique present to give your friend for her 21st birthday party!
Next, I will explain the step-by-step process of applying glitter to your wine bottle. There are several ways you can do this. I suggest purchasing spray paint glitter. Take your wine bottle outside and set it on a piece of cardboard or newspaper. Then spray the glitter so there is a coat that evenly covers your bottle. Let the bottle dry for thirty minutes. After the glitter has completely dried, you can take your spray Modge Podge and apply a thin coat so the glitter has a protective outer covering.
If you don’t want to use spray glitter, there is another option for you.
1. Apply a thin coat of Modge Podge with a sponge brush to the outside of the bottle.
2. Immediately apply the glitter so the craft glue doesn’t have time to dry. The best method is to shake the glitter onto the bottle until it is completely covered. Or you can pour all the glitter on a piece of paper and fold the paper in half so the glitter trickles down to the edge. Then shake the glitter evenly onto the surface of the bottle.
3. Let the bottle dry completely, and repeat the Modge Podge covering as mentioned in the above option so the glitter has a protective coating.
Place your glittery bottles in your home or give them to friends for a present!